I lead BigData@CSAIL and
co-direct the Intel Science and Technology Center (ISTC) in Big Data.
This years New England Database Summit will be held February 1, 2013, at MIT CSAIL.
- Short bio
- Ph.D. (Berkeley) 2003; M.Eng. (MIT) 1999; B.S. (MIT) 1999.
- Fall, 2013, 6.885: From ASCII to Answers
- Spring, 2013, 6.830/6.814
- Spring, 2012, 6.830/6.814
- Spring, 2010, 6.033 (lectures, with Robert Morris)
- Fall 2009, Database Systems(6.830)
- Spring, 2009, 6.033 (lectures, with Robert Morris)
- Fall 2008, Database Systems(6.830)
- Fall 2007, Database Systems(6.830)
- Spring 2007, 6.033 (sections)
- Fall 2006, Database Systems(6.830)
- Spring 2006, 6.033 (sections)
- Fall 2005, Database Systems(6.830)
- Spring 2005, 6.033 (lectures, with Hari Balakrishnan)
- Fall 2004, Database Systems (6.893)
- Spring 2004, 6.033 (sections)
Research My primary research focus is on database systems,
including main memory databases, data warehousing/analytics, database-as-a-service, and querying data streams and networks of
distributed devices such as wireless sensor networks.
Recent and current research projects and interests include:
Past projects include:
- Qurk, a project investigating how people (as accessed via crowdsourcing platforms like Amazon's Mechanical Turk) can be integrated into query processing.
- SciDB, a multi-institution project developing a data management platform for scientific applications, including astronomy and computational biology.
- Relational Cloud, a project looking at building a scalable database service for the cloud.
- H-Store, a next generation high-performance OLTP engine.
- The CarTel networking and data management system for mobile sensor networks.
- C-Store, a column-oriented high performance database system for warehouse and semantic web applications.
- WaveScope, a signal-oriented stream processing system.
- The MACAQUE project, which focused on identifying ways to make data collected from sensor networks more reliable and useful.
- Developing novel query processing and optimization techniques for sensor networks and other acquisitional systems.
- TinyDB (a part of TinyOS.)
- Aurora/Borealis stream processor.
- TelegraphCQ continuous query processor.
Current Ph.D. students:
- Alvin Cheung
- Anant Bhardwaj
- Yuan Mei
- Stephen Tu
- Manasi Vartak
- Eugene Wu
Graduated Ph.D. students:
Graduated M.Eng. students:
Awards and Honors
- C. V. Ramamoorthy Distinguished Research Award, UC Berkeley, 2003
- VLDB 2004 Best Paper Award
- NSF CAREER Award (Project Page), 2005
- MIT TR35 Outstanding Researcher Under the Age of 35, 2005
- MobiCom Best Paper Award, 2006
- SenSys Best Demo Award, 2006
- Sloan Fellowship, 2007
- IBM Facutly Development Award, 2007
- VLDB Best Paper Award, 2007
- Sensys Best Paper Award, 2009
- VLDB Best Demo Award, 2011
- I am the Chief Scientist of Cambridge Mobile Telematics, a Cambridge, MA-based startup that specializes in processing mobile sensor data for telematics, usage-based insurance (UBI), and other applications.
- I am a technical advisor to ParElastic, a cloud-based database-as-a-service.
- I am a technical advisor to Trifacta, a Bay Area startup focused on making people more productive with their data.
- I was a co-founder of Vertica, a column-oriented database system. Vertica was acquired by HP in 2011.
Miscellaneous Technical Articles and Software
- SIGMOD 2004 Demo Committee
- OSDI 2004 Program Committee
- Organizer of the 2004 DMSN Workshop on Data Management in Wireless Sensor Networks held with VLDB 2004.
- CIDR 2005 Program Committee
- ICDE 2005 Program Committee
- SIGMOD 2005 Program Committee
- VLDB 2005 Program Committee
- Organizer of the 2005 DMSN Workshop on Data Management in Wireless Sensor Networks held with VLDB 2005.
- IPSN 2006 Program Committee
- SIGMOD 2006 Demo Committee
- KDD 2006 Program Committee
- SenSys 2006 Program Committee
- SenSys 2006 Publications Chair
- SIGMOD 2007 Program Committee
- CIDR 2007 Program Committee
- DCOSS 2007 Systems Subcommitte Program Chair
- VLDB 2007 Program Committee
- VLDB 2008 Industrial Track Program Committee
- SIGMOD 2008 Program Committee
- IPSN 2008 PC Co-Chair
- ICDE 2009 Program Committee
- PVLDB 2010 Program Committee
- PVLDB 2011 Program Commitee
- SIGMOD 2011 Program Committee
- Editorial Board Member, Internet Computing
- Editorial Board Member, Transactions on Sensor Networks